Donald Redelmeier Suggests Clinical Actions against Drunk Driving
ITMA’s Regional Director in North America, Dr. Donald Redelmeier recently published his work on PLOS Medicine to describe how drunk driving could be prevented through efforts from different domains.
Following specific strategies were proposed for physicians to help their patients to prevent drunk driving.
- Alcohol screening and brief interventions for patients with alcohol problems
- Physician warnings for patients who sometimes drink and drive
- Treatment of patients diagnosed with alcohol dependence
- Counseling of patients not to ride with drunk drivers
- Supporting enforcement of laws against drunk driving
- Promoting sobriety checkpoints in local communities
- Lending voice to mass media campaigns against drunk driving
- Joining multicomponent interventions in coalitions of community group members
Click to see the full length paper: “Clinical Actions against Drunk Driving”.